Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Witnessing a Little Miracle

Over three months ago, WOW, I had the privilege to watch one of the most beautiful things, probably, in the entire world.  I got to witness my best friend give birth to her first born.  Let me back up about 25 years.  I have known my best friend for as long as I can remember.  Our mom's were best friends, thus it was destiny for us as well.  She hasn't always lived close, but we've stayed in touch through high school and even college.  We were maid of honors at our weddings, and we've seen so much together. 
So, when she found out she was expecting her first, naturally I was so excited.  Yet, at the same time I was an emotional mess.  We had been struggling to start our own family for so long, and it just wasn't (still isn't) working for us.  My heart sinks just writing this, but at that moment I was so jealous I almost couldn't stand myself.  How on earth could I be so self-centered and worry about my own problems when she was getting ready to experience the biggest blessing in the world, a sweet baby.  Sadly, I struggled throughout those nine months, until I got a call Saturday morning on October 25, 2014.  It was my mother, she was asking if I had talked to my BF's mom.  I told her I hadn't due to the fact that cell service at our house is horrible.  My mom proceeded to say that my BF was in labor and was wondering if I was going to go to the hospital.  At this point I was going to hold out and possibly wait until the baby came (they lived 1 1/2 hour away and the hospital was another 30 minutes away).  I told her my plan and she asked if I knew that my BF wanted me in the delivery room when she delivered.  I don't know if it was all the extra hormones left over from the fertility treatments, but I started bawling like a baby, and told my mother I would shower, throw some clothes in a bag, and we would drive as fast as we could to get there.  I think I set a world record for myself.  I showered, applied make-up, and did my hair in 20 minutes.  It usually takes me a good 45 minutes to get ready, but we didn't have time to waste. 
Upon arrival, we waited for 8 hours for my new nephew to show up.  It seemed like a week until she was ready to push.  Now, I have never had children or witnessed a birth before (yes, not even in health class, I looked away).  As I am coaching my best friend through her labor, I had this sense that I was meant to be there. Then in the blink of an eye his little head popped out.  Through tears in my eyes, I coached her through the last leg of the labor, out popped my little red-headed nephew, and I completely lost it.  All the pain, and sorrow I had ever felt throughout our trying to conceive journey just faded away.  All of my focus was on that sweet little baby laying on the weighing table.  Only a perfect God could design a woman's body to accomplish such a miraculous feat.   I know that the birth of my own children will be just as great, but at this moment this is at the top of my life's highlights.  It might be one point higher than my wedding day (sorry honey).  I will always remember that day, and will always be grateful that they included me in the delivery of their first baby.  I just pray that one day I will be able to repay the favor of letting her be in the delivery room when it's our turn.  Until next time, always Chasing Hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment