Monday, May 11, 2015

New Horizon

     All my grown life I have wanted to be a teacher.  Even when I think back to when I was younger I always remember playing teacher with my dolls.  I would take books that my previous teachers were going to get rid of that year in order to make room for the new ones the next.  I even recall one doll always getting in trouble or talking in class.  At a young age I was unconsciously drawn to the troubled students. 
     I remember by senior year of high school I did an internship at a local school with a teacher friend of mine.  That year sealed the deal, I would be a teacher now matter what it took.  After going to college, taking and retaking countless state mandated tests, and a pile of student loan debt later, I did it I was finally a teacher.  The teacher who I student taught with was amazing and she taught me so much.  However, in 2 years she would be retiring.  So, in order to begin my career I subbed at that school where she worked.  I put in 2 years of subbing.  Little did I know, there is a lot more that goes on in the teaching world.  I am talking about politics and biding your time. 
     The closer the day got to hopefully landing my dream job the further it seemed.  Until someone mentioned a small Christian school where we live might be hiring for the up coming school year.  With my public school dream growing dim I moved on to another option, private school.  I never pictured myself being a private school teacher.  Let's be honest some private school kids are snotty and entitled (stay with me parents).  I subbed a few times at the school before the year let out and put in my resume in hopes of actually having a classroom some day. 
     The day finally came, I was called for an interview.  Now I'm being completely honest, I have never interviewed any where.  When I was 16 a good friend got me in at a local bank where I worked for 5 years without interviewing (she just called and said come in this day).  Then at 18 another good friend had me come in and help her at a local salon were she was a receptionist and knew they needed the extra help (again no interview).  With this being my first interview ever and it being a teaching interview I was so incredibly nervous. 
     Several weeks later I got the call saying I didn't get the job.  I knew this might happen, but I didn't think it would be that soon.  Thankfully when I got that call I was babysitting my only nephew at the time and he made things so much better.  Fast forward a few more weeks and I am sitting on a beach in Florida listening to the waves roll and I have a missed call and voicemail from New Horizon on my phone.  I found it strange and checked my voicemail.  It was the principal calling and asking about my certificates.  Now at the time I had/have middle school endorsements in language arts and social studies.  I was a little nervous about teaching middle school; frankly I didn't like junior high students at all.  They were scary, moody and at times smelly.  The worst part were their attitudes, something I can't stand.  I call the principal back and sure enough she told me I had the middle school English and reading job if I wanted it. 
     Through a nervous giddy grin I accepted; I was excited and terrified all at the same time.  I went to school to be an Elementary teacher not deal with smart-mouthed Jr. High kids.  As I began to set up my classroom I prayed the entire time for God's guidance, after all I knew that this door had been opened to me, but I really didn't understand where He was going with this one. 
     My very first day/week I sweat through every shirt that I wore.  However, I began to notice little things.  My students were kind, surprisingly quiet and actually liked me.  Even though I tried to put on my meanest teacher face they eventually saw right through it.  As the weeks flew by I began to relax and really enjoy my students.  We shared a lot together and learned even more together. 
     As I prepare to watch my 2nd 8th grade class graduate Jr. High at New Horizon I am starting to see why God chose to put me here.  With everything we have been through trying to start our family, I have had another family to pray for us and fight in our corner.  I work with an amazing group of teachers who at the beginning of every school day meet together for a quick devotion to start our day out right.  My students are funny, smart, and most of the time fun to be around.  All of our parents are supportive and willing to help out in any way they can.  We have Chapel services every Friday and they are always amazing, really I don't know who learns more half the time myself or the students. 
     Even my students know my struggle through this blog and about the miscarriage I had in January.  The day I came back from an awful weekend and first part of the week my students received me with hugs and were very quiet, at least the first period.  I'm pretty sure they didn't know what I would do.  As usual we picked up where we left off and went back to joking around and learning.  We all face trials of many kinds and God knows what's best for us in the long run.  Teaching at New Horizon has been such a blessing and I hope it blesses others as much as it has Chase and me.  He really knew what he was doing when I was hired.  Until next time friends, always Chasing Hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment