Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Just Wait

     Just wait until you have kids and you'll never get sleep, have time to pee, or insert an amazing perk here.  Maybe that was a little too sarcastic.  However, I despise this phrase because to be blunt I have waited A LONG TIME to have kids, but maybe to some people 3 years isn't very long of a wait to have children.
     Everything about this threatening phrase just digs under my skin and I hear it from close family and friends, all people who know our struggle.  Now, I am not trying to down play anything that parents do for their children.  I can only imagine that parenting is exhausting and there are times where you wish they would just stop crying, lay down for their nap, or stop pulling their sisters hair.  Being a parent sounds like a tough job, after all you are entrusted to care for a little person who looks and acts just like you.  However, what are you really trying to accomplish by telling me to wait until I have children?  Is this supposed to make me change my mind about having them?  Or is it supposed to show me how lucky I am to be able to sleep in or not have to watch Barney for the thousandth time. 
     Well, my friends I don't call this lucky at all.  I would give up my days to sleep in, quiet days alone, and all the money I have (oh wait, we kinda already have) to have a child.  Thus pointing out some of the down sides of parenthood isn't going to help.  Am I delusional to think that everyday is going to be a piece of cake?  Duh, no, everything for us thus far has been extremely difficult, and I wouldn't expect parenting to be anything but.  However, when I do encounter those crazy never ending parenting moments I would like to think that my mind will travel back to those times where I was sitting in the bathroom crying again over another failed pregnancy test, getting ready to tackle another mountain of paperwork, or writing another check for a failed treatment.  So the next time you give someone parenting advise please take the time to consider who you are talking to.  After all parenting may be hard but so is infertility.  Until next time, always Chasing Hope. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment